Chocolate sheet cake is a classic dessert that has been around for centuries. The first known recipe for a chocolate sheet cake was published in a cookbook in 1796. The cake was originally made with eggs, sugar, flour, and cocoa powder. Over time, the recipe has been modified to include other ingredients, such as butter, milk, and baking powder.
Chocolate Sheet CakeCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients alternately with the milk, beating until just combined after each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- For a richer flavor, use dark cocoa powder.
- To make the cake ahead of time, bake it and then let it cool completely. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To make the cake even more moist, you can add a layer of pudding to the cake before frosting it.