Stromboli is a type of Italian-American baked dish made with pizza dough, meats, and cheeses. It is believed to have originated in the town of Stromboli, Sicily, in the early 20th century. Stromboli is typically larger and longer than a calzone, and it is baked as one piece. This makes it a great option for serving a crowd.
Stromboli RecipeCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
Stromboli is a delicious and hearty dish that is perfect for a casual meal or party appetizer. The combination of the crispy crust, flavorful meats, and melted cheeses is simply irresistible. Stromboli can be customized to your liking, so you can add your favorite toppings. For example, you could add spinach, artichoke hearts, or sun-dried tomatoes.
1 batch pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
1/2 cup pizza sauce
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
8 slices salami
5-6 slices deli honey ham
12-16 slices pepperoni
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Roll out pizza dough into a 12×18-inch rectangle.
- Spread pizza sauce over dough, leaving a 1-inch border around the edges.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, salami, ham, and pepperoni.
- Brush edges of dough with egg wash.
- Roll up dough, starting from the long side.
- Pinch ends of dough together to seal.
- Place stromboli on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush top of stromboli with egg wash.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garlic powder.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let stromboli cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- To make sure your stromboli is evenly cooked, cut it into slices before baking. This will help the heat to distribute evenly throughout the dish.
- If you are using store-bought pizza dough, make sure to let it come to room temperature before rolling it out. This will make it easier to work with.
- To prevent the stromboli from splitting open while baking, brush the edges with egg wash. This will help to seal the dough together.
- Serve stromboli immediately after baking for the best flavor and texture.