As we become more health-conscious, understanding the nutritional content of the food we consume becomes more important. This applies to all types of food, including the staple of Mexican cuisine – the tortilla. In particular, let’s delve into the caloric content of a small corn tortilla.
Corn tortillas, the unsung hero of many Mexican dishes, come in different sizes. The small corn tortilla, generally around 6 inches in diameter, is a popular choice for tacos, enchiladas, and other favorites. Its compact size makes it perfect for individual servings and portion control, but what about its nutritional content?
Small Corn Tortilla Calories
A typical small corn tortilla, weighing approximately 28 grams, contains around 60-70 calories. This relatively low caloric content makes it a go-to choice for those on a calorie-controlled diet or simply for those who are conscious about their daily caloric intake.
The calories in a small corn tortilla are primarily derived from carbohydrates, with each tortilla containing around 15 grams of carbs. It also provides a small amount of protein (approximately 2 grams per tortilla) and negligible fat content. Moreover, corn tortillas are a good source of dietary fiber, providing about 10-15% of the daily recommended intake in just one tortilla.
However, it’s essential to keep in mind that while the tortilla itself is relatively low in calories, the fillings can quickly add up. Rich, cheesy, or meat-heavy fillings can boost the caloric content significantly. Therefore, if you’re counting calories, be mindful of your fillings and toppings. Opt for lean proteins, such as chicken or fish, and fresh veggies to keep the calorie count down while still enjoying a delicious, satisfying meal.
Small Corn Tortilla Calories: What You Need to KnowCourse: Blog, MainDifficulty: Easy
Small corn tortillas are a staple food in Mexican cuisine. They are made from masa harina, which is a type of corn flour, and water. Small corn tortillas are typically cooked on a hot griddle or skillet and can be used to make a variety of Mexican dishes, such as tacos, burritos, and enchiladas.
1 cup masa harina
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the masa harina and salt.
- Gradually add the warm water, stirring constantly, until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 6-inch circle.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Cook each tortilla for 1-2 minutes per side, or until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
- For a smoother tortilla, use a tortilla press.
- If the dough is too sticky, add more masa harina.
- If the dough is too dry, add more warm water.
- To make ahead, cook the tortillas and then store them in a tortilla warmer or in a sealed container at room temperature. They will stay warm for up to 1 hour.
- Small corn tortillas can be used to make tacos, burritos, enchiladas, and many other Mexican dishes.
- They can also be used to make quesadillas, which are a type of grilled cheese sandwich made with tortillas and cheese.
- Small corn tortillas can also be eaten plain, with a variety of toppings, such as salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
In conclusion, a small corn tortilla is a low-calorie base for many tasty dishes, allowing for a good balance of taste and health. Its versatility and nutritional value make it an excellent choice for those keen on maintaining a balanced diet without compromising on flavor. Happy eating!