A New Twist on an Old Favorite: Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps
Hey there, fellow food enthusiasts, it’s Foodie Mike here. Today, I’ll be walking you through an innovative and super convenient way to prepare a traditional dish that has been loved by many: Field Peas and Snaps. Yes, you guessed it right; we’re making Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps!
Revolutionizing Cooking with the Instant Pot
The Instant Pot, a marvel of modern culinary technology, is an absolute game-changer. It transforms lengthy and laborious cooking processes into quick, hassle-free experiences, and our beloved Field Peas and Snaps are no exception. The Instant Pot ensures you get that well-cooked, flavorsome pot of peas and snaps without having to keep an eye on the stove for hours.
The Magic of Field Peas and Snaps
Field Peas, when combined with snaps, form a delicious, healthy, and hearty dish. The peas bring a lovely creamy texture, and the snaps add that perfect crunch. A match made in heaven, you’d agree! Not only are they delicious, but they’re also packed with nutrients – a fact that makes the health benefits of Field Peas and Snaps hard to ignore.
Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps Recipe: Ingredients and Process
Preparing Field Peas and Snaps in an Instant Pot is a breeze. You’ll need field peas, snaps, water or broth, onions, garlic, some good quality oil, and your favorite seasonings.
One of the best things about this dish is the versatility it offers. Want to make a vegan version? Skip the chicken broth and use vegetable broth or water. Looking for more flavor? Add in some smoked turkey or ham. You can truly make your Vegan Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps or any other version you want.
Cooking Time and Serving Suggestions
Once you’ve gathered your ingredients, you’re only a few steps away from a hot, home-cooked, delicious meal. The Instant Pot does a fabulous job of creating the perfect texture for your field peas and snaps in around 20-30 minutes.
When it comes to serving, these peas and snaps pair beautifully with a piece of cornbread or over some freshly cooked rice. A drizzle of hot sauce and your delicious, hearty meal is ready to be served.
A Culinary Adventure with the Instant Pot
Embracing the Instant Pot for your cooking adventures is not only convenient but also opens up a new world of possibilities. Trying out the Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps is just the beginning.
Instant Pot Field Peas and SnapsCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
Instant Pot Field Peas and Snaps is a quick and easy way to make a classic comfort food. The peas and beans cook in the Instant Pot, which means that they cook up quickly and evenly. The ham hock adds a layer of flavor and richness to the dish. The dish is also very versatile and can be served with a variety of sides, such as cornbread, rolls, or vegetables.
1 pound field peas
1 pound fresh green beans, snapped
1 smoked ham hock
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
6 cups water
- Rinse the field peas and green beans in cold water.
- Place the field peas, green beans, ham hock, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper in the Instant Pot.
- Add the water.
- Close the lid and seal the valve.
- Set the Instant Pot to high pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Remove the ham hock and shred it.
- Stir the shredded ham hock back into the peas and beans.
- Serve hot.
- For a more flavorful dish, use dried field peas instead of canned field peas.
- If you don’t have a ham hock, you can use 1 cup of chopped ham.
- To make the peas and beans even more flavorful, add a teaspoon of brown sugar or molasses.
- Serve the peas and beans with your favorite sides, such as cornbread, rolls, or vegetables.
Here are some possible substitutions for this dish:
- For the field peas: You can use canned field peas, but they will not be as flavorful as dried field peas. You can also use other types of dried peas, such as black-eyed peas or lentils.
- For the green beans: You can use any type of green beans, such as snap beans, string beans, or haricot verts. You can also use frozen green beans, but they will not be as flavorful as fresh green beans.
- For the ham hock: You can use any type of smoked meat, such as bacon, sausage, or ham. You can also use vegetable broth or water instead of the ham hock.
- For the spices: You can adjust the amount of spices to your liking. If you like a spicier dish, add more cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes.
Here are some other ideas for substitutions:
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook the field peas and snaps in a Dutch oven or pressure cooker.
- For a vegetarian or vegan dish, you can omit the ham hock and use vegetable broth or water instead.
- To make the dish ahead of time, cook the field peas and snaps according to the instructions, then let them cool completely. Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. When you’re ready to serve, reheat the peas and snaps in the Instant Pot or on the stovetop.
I hope this helps!