Popeyes chicken was created in 1972 by Al Copeland in New Orleans, Louisiana. The chain quickly became popular and now has over 2,000 locations in the United States and around the world. Popeyes chicken is known for its crispy and flavorful chicken, which is made with a secret blend of spices.
Homemade Popeyes chickenCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
Popeyes chicken is a popular fried chicken chain that is known for its crispy and flavorful chicken. This recipe is a copycat version of Popeyes chicken that is easy to make at home. The chicken is first marinated in buttermilk, which helps to tenderize the meat and add flavor. The chicken is then dredged in a mixture of flour, cornstarch, and spices, and fried until golden brown and crispy.
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken breasts, buttermilk, and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- In a shallow dish, combine the flour, cornstarch, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, thyme, and oregano.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and dredge in the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Fry the chicken in batches for 3-4 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Drain the chicken on paper towels and serve immediately.
- For the best results, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are about 1 inch thick.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Let the milk sit for 5 minutes before using.
- You can adjust the amount of spices to your liking. If you like your chicken spicier, add more cayenne pepper.
- If you don’t have a deep fryer, you can fry the chicken in a large skillet or Dutch oven. Just make sure to use enough oil to cover the chicken completely.